..well, my husband’s made-up-just-for-me-because-he-knows-how-much-I-LOOOOVE-“Chopped” version.
Last Saturday afternoon, I get a text from my husband who is at Whole Foods: “Chopped challenge, prepare your mind.” What??!! Awesome!!
I went through a phase where I watched old “Chopped” episodes on a nightly basis, right before bed, making multiple comments, multiple times on how I wish I could compete/judge in that show.
So imagine my excitement upon reading that text!!!
So, he comes home a little later with the following 12 ingredients:
- Sour Cream
- Organic dark chocolate sauce
- Garlic herb hummus
- Fresh ground almond butter
- Aged cheddar
- Pretzel buns
- Brussel sprouts
- Atlantic salmon
- Raincoast crisps (bread crisps w/cranberry, nuts, seeds)
- Organic eggs
- Beef stick (fancy Slim Jim)
And these were his “rules”:
- All ingredients must be used.
- I had a total of 70 min to complete and plate an appetizer, entree and dessert (unlike the show where the appetizer round is 20 min, dinner 30, and dessert 20).
- I was also allowed to search for a cream puff recipe online, because I didn’t have time to memorize any dessert recipes give the 1 hour “heads-up”. (which I obviously would’ve done, had I been given more notice, obvi)
- We would be the judges. (best part)
It was by faaaaaar THE most exciting thing I have ever done in the kitchen – almost as much adrenaline pumping as that time we climbed Half Dome in Yosemite and thought I would plunge to my death… but this was less “fear-of-death” more “fear-of-the-timer”.
So, he set the timer, and I FLEW!!
Ovens on! Stove on! Every single clean pan in my cupboards out! Knives flying! Spoons stirring! It was exhilarating!!!!!
Deric got in on the action too as he played cameraman and filmed some of the action.
I had everything plated with only seconds to spare!
So, after the most awesome 70 minutes of my cooking life, here is what we ate for dinner.
and for my favorite………..
And the winner is….
US! we got to eat it, and I had a blast!
My favorite course was dessert. I will try to recreate it someday, or some version of it.
I’m pretty sure we will be doing this on a monthly basis, it was just too much fun! Next time, he will be going to the Asian supermarket….. eeeeeek!! so excited!
And my husband, well, he got the “BEST-HUSBAND-EVER” award :)